|Collar Roses Wreath|
FIRST THE BASICS: The wreath is a 12" straw wreath purchased at Joann's for $1.80 ($2.99 less a 40% off coupon) Wrapped in burlap that I also purchased at Joann's for $3.99 a yard and also applied a 40% off coupon to that. I purchased 4 yds so I would have quite a bit of length to my strips. I cut one strip about 3" wide then hot glued one end of my strip onto the wreath and started wrapping the burlap around the wreath overlapping about half of each strip so that there wouldn't be any see thru of the straw.
COLLARS BECOMES ROSES: (if you haven't made fabric roses before do a Google search for a tutorial "how to make fabric roses")
So the above image is the collar and how it looks after being cut from the shirt. There are two sections of the collar, the collar band (the part that wraps around the neck) and the collar points (the other part of the collar)
|One Collar Becomes Two Parts|
I've separated the collar into two parts and trimmed the collar so that it's cut right up to the stitching on both pieces. So now one collar will produce two fabric roses. The collar band makes for a smaller rose and I just start rolling from one end to create the inside bud (about 1/4 of the way) and then twirled and secured. My glue of choice is Fabri Tac. it's tacky right away which helps to keep the rose from unraveling.
|Collar Band Rose|
The collar point is quite wide and would produce too big a rose for my liking so I folded it in half and secured it with fabric glue to keep it in place. (picture not shown) I'm then ready to twirl and secure.
WREATH FINISHING: So I had collected a number of different color blue collars (as you can see in the wreath image) and was happy with the color composition of them and I just arranged them on the burlap covered wreath and secured them with pins to make sure I liked how it looked before I committed to glue. I tend to leave things to sit for a bit to make sure I'm happy with it and it became apparent to me that something was missing. So I made a few 1 1/2" covered buttons in matching fabric and I think that helped. So I removed the pins, hot glued the roses and buttons in place and then hot glued some pins into the roses to really secure them so they would stay put.
My plan is to display this wreath along with the Men's Shirt Pillows at my upcoming craft show.
Stick around because I'll be posting those pictures of the pillows I've made from these shirts along with a simple How To